What is SaaS (Software as a Service)?
SaaS (Software as a Service) is software and associated data that is hosted on a centrally located cloud and available on demand. Supplied by application service providers, SaaS is quickly becoming a popular software delivery method for businesses. Previously, a vendor would sell you a software license that you were expected to apply and maintain on your own computers in your own data center. With SaaS the software vendor hosts the system and provides access on a subscription basis. Basically, businesses can rent or borrow the system through the internet.
How Can SaaS Benefit Your Business?
SaaS offers many benefits for business owners including the potential to reduce IT support costs and access to a variety of business applications such as messaging software, management software and customer relationship management (CRM) software. Other benefits of SaaS include:
- The efficiency of your business operations improve and the risk of software becoming incompatible with your system are minimal.
- Developing an application takes time. If you choose to hire someone to develop one for you, it can take him or her several years. In the meantime, you may end up spending a lot of money on the process only for the application to fail. SaaS provides a good return on your investment.
- Through the SaaS model, you are able to synchronize usage of software in all units including branch offices. This results in a uniform format of recording and conveying information.
- The vendor has full responsibility of managing the software and applications.
What are the Possible Drawbacks of Utilizing SaaS?
While SaaS offers many benefits to businesses, owners and managers should also be aware of the risks before registering with a SaaS vendor. Below are possible drawbacks associated with SaaS:
- You are placing a high level of trust in the application service providers and vendors.
- Additional security measures must be taken to ensure the safety of your data and business information. Speak with your trusted San Diego Computer Consulting Firm to find out the areas of vulnerability in your network that need to be addressed.
- Increased risk of service disruption, connectivity and online security breaches. Since the applications are delivered through the internet and web-browsers, there is a greater risk of complications.
If you have questions regarding SaaS or other San Diego IT services, contact Syndeo Communications at 760-650-3300.